Ginny’s latest post, Soybean Isoflavones are Different from Estrogen, inspired me to think about what soy-based recipe I might share. Then I thought about how much I love Soy Curls:
Butler Soy Curls™ are vegan, gluten-free and contain the whole soybean and are a great substitute for “meat” dishes, like stir-fries, tacos or enchiladas, and casseroles.
I’m currently working on my second book (a cookbook tentatively entitled Vegan Pressure Cooking) and so pretty much any new recipe idea I come up with these days is created in the pressure cooker. I’ve been experimenting with Soy Curls and TVP and am sharing a new recipe here. (If you don’t have a pressure cooker I do suggest an alternative cooking method below.)
Vegan Soy Curl Mac’n Cheese
by JL Fields
- 2 cups Soy Curls
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons “chicken style” seasoning (I use Butler Chik-Style)
- 1 cup spelt elbow pasta
- Approximately 2 and 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 ounces vegan cheese (optional, I used Daiya Havarti style wedge)
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
- Place Soy Curls in a container large enough to cover with warm water and soak for 8-10 minutes to re-hydrate then drain excess water.
- Heat vegan butter on medium-high heat in an uncovered pressure cooker.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Stir in Soy Curls and Chik-Style seasoning and sauté for about five minutes.
- Add pasta and water (enough to cover the pasta), stir, add nutritional yeast, stir well, pat down and cover the pressure cooker.
- Bring to pressure.
- Cook at low pressure for five minutes.
- Use a quick release method.
- Uncover, stir and taste. Stir in optional vegan cheese and/or salt and ground black pepper.
- Let sit for about five minutes before serving .
YIELD: Serves 2
If you don’t use a pressure cooker I suggest you make the macaroni separately, following the package instructions, and then add it to the Soy Curls and other ingredients, prepared in a large saucepan or skillet. Stir in the vegan cheese before serving.
Question about this recipe? Join me in the forum!